Wednesday, December 8, 2010

The Art of Stacking Dishes

I have never in my life owned a dish rack... and as far as I know neither has my mother or grandmother. We have always just spread a dish towel on the counter and stacked the dishes there to dry.
It can be kinda hazardous and precarious if not done correctly... so here are some guidelines:

~Bowls are set to lean against the back splash in two rows (3 if needed), and plates lean against them.
~Glasses and mugs upside down in two rows to the left of the bowls and plates.
~Silverware a grouped together and set with the bowl of the spoon facing downward so they drain properly!
~Pot lids lean against plates and the pots themselves get stacked one inside the other and set on top of the bowls

That's how it's done... it takes awhile to perfect the art ;) but I love not having a dish rack to clutter up my precious counter space!

After draining for about 2 or 3 hours they're all dry and ready for the cupboard.

Sometimes I don't get to it right away and Karl will need a bowl (in the rare case that we run out of the ones in the cupboard) from underneath the pile, and I am proud to say that I can usually get a bowl out from the mountain of dry (or drying) dishes without upsetting the delicate architecture of the stack! Try it sometime... it is quite a feat! :DP.S.
My rings and hairband always come off my finger and wrist (respectively) before my hands enter soapy water... I'm just picky like that! ;)












1 comment:

  1. this is brilliant! thanks for teaching the art of stacking. i have memorised it for whenever i might not have a dish-rack. i will probably will keep using my plastic dish-rack though. the annoying thing about the rack though, is that it does grow moldy at times, needing a scrub as well. also, i drain my cutlery standing up in small plastic pot plant holder (it has drain holes) - my own invention!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting... it'll make my day!