Tuesday, November 30, 2010

My "Secret" Recipe for Chili

My mom taught me how to make chili.

And we never used a recipe. But to be able to pass it on to all of you wonderful people I put it in a recipe form.... but please, don't use exact measurements... it's so much better when you wing it!

And for tradition's sake please make 4x what you plan to eat in one day... 'cause that's what we've always done. Make so much that you are either forced to eat it everyday for a week (which Karl thankfully likes to do) or freeze some for later. That is the tradition when it comes to chili.... ;)

My Mom's Chili~ yields a big old pot full

Begin by chopping up at least 3 medium sized onions and mincing 3 or 4 garlic cloves. Add these to a pot with just a splash of olive oil (enough to keep them from sticking to the pot) and 2 tablespoon of chili powder. Mix until the onions are nicely coated in chili powder and then saute until just tender.
At this point add about 3 pounds of lean ground beef, although we have made it with ground turkey or ground venison and it turns out just as good! Cook until the meat is browned and some lovely juice begins to collect at the bottom of the pan.

Now it becomes imperative to add 3 cans of sliced stewed tomatoes and all the juice that come with them. Also add 2 (or 3 if you like beans) cans of dark red kidney beans, but please drain and rinse them first!
I usually add about 2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper, and a teaspoon of cayenne pepper and paprika (to give it a sweet and spicy flavor)! But you can adjust these ingredients to taste... experiment and have fun! :)

We usually eat about half a bowl with a spoon and the other half gets scooped up with tortilla chips... YUM!

We are currently on our 4th (or possibly 5th day) of eating this most recent batch of chili (which tells you how long I've delayed this post) and neither of us are sick of it yet! When the weather is cold and snowy, like it's been here in Fargo, ND, Chili is the perfect remedy... it warms you right up! :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for all of the good luck wishes on my new job! It is going very well, although I have a different position than I stated with... one that I like much, much better as I no longer have to get up at 6 am! I am not and never will be a morning person! :)

Thank you for stopping to look here today... I'll hopefully be posting more regularly now that I've got in the swing of thing! Thank you for your patience!

4 comments:

  1. Oh, yumminess!!! Aron still says you and your Mom are the only ones who make good chili. So now I know your secret does not include cumin? Ahhh, that would have saved me my BIG mistake on my last batch (which is sitting forlornly in the fridge) when I accidentally scooped 3 tablespoons CURRY POWDER from the neighboring bag of spices.....really, um, different, shhhh don't tell Paul until after he eats it all! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you lisah! It was!

    Awwww... that makes me so happy, Donna! I always thought Aron was just trying to make me feel good when he said that!

    Yeah... no cumin... and certainly no CURRY POWDER! ;)
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love beans and am pretty much a chilli addict. Currently I have 3 tins of Staggs "Beef & Chili with Beans" in my cupboard & I just had a look and it says it is imported from "Austin, MN 55912" - i.e. from Minnesota!
    I've avoided eating red meat for the past 20 years but this year found that I was really craving it for some reason (probably iron deficiency) so now I am eating it again.

    As usual you have made me very hungry with this great recipe. Luckily I have the tinned version, which I am sure will be very nice too :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting... it'll make my day!